- These terms & conditions apply to any work done for the Client by Lydia Wanstall.
- The Client is under no obligation to offer Lydia Wanstall work; neither is Lydia Wanstall under any obligation to accept work offered by the Client.
- Lydia Wanstall will provide service(s) as mutually agreed, confirmed in writing by the Client.
- The work will be carried out unsupervised at such times and places as determined by Lydia Wanstall, using her own equipment.
- Lydia Wanstall confirms that she is self-employed, is responsible for her own income tax and National Insurance contributions, and will not claim benefits granted to the Client’s employees.
- Lydia Wanstall agrees to attend the Client’s or other premises for necessary meetings, the time spent and agreed reasonable expenses incurred to be reimbursed by the Client.
- The Client will reimburse Lydia Wanstall for agreed reasonable expenses over and above usual expenses incurred in the process of editorial work. The Client will pay Lydia Wanstall a fee per hour OR an agreed flat fee for the job.
- The completed work will be delivered on or before the date agreed, for the agreed fee, which will be based on the description of the work required and the brief, both supplied by the Client.
- If, however, upon receipt of the item to be worked on or at an early stage, it becomes apparent that significantly more work is required than had been anticipated in the preliminary discussion/brief, Lydia Wanstall may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline.
- Similarly, if, during the term of Lydia Wanstall’s work, additional tasks are requested by the Client, Lydia Wanstall may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline.
- If the project is lengthy, Lydia Wanstall may invoice periodically for completed stages.
- Any content created by Lydia Wanstall as part of the copy-editing/proofreading/project management process will become the copyright of the Client, unless otherwise agreed.
- The nature and content of the work will be kept confidential and not made known to anyone other than the Client and its contractors without prior written permission.
- Lydia Wanstall guarantees that any work that she subcontracts on behalf of the Client will be completed to the same standard, schedule and budget and with the same conditions of confidentiality.
- If Lydia Wanstall’s work is unsatisfactory, Lydia Wanstall will rectify it in her own time and at her own expense.
- Unless agreed otherwise at the outset, payment will be made within 30 days of receipt of Lydia Wanstall’s invoice, according to the Late Payment of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1998.
- Under the terms of the Data Protection Act 1998, the Client and Lydia Wanstall may keep on record such information (e.g. contact details) as is necessary. Either may view the other’s records to ensure that they are relevant, correct and up to date.
- Either the Client or Lydia Wanstall has the right to terminate a contract for services if there is a serious breach of its terms.
- If Lydia Wanstall has made a substantial contribution to the copy-editing/proofreading/project management of the work, she will be entitled to receive one free copy of the work.
- Lydia Wanstall may use the Client’s name in her promotional material.
- This agreement is subject to the laws of England and Wales, and both Freelance and Client agree to submit to the jurisdiction of the English and Welsh courts.
I am committed to protecting your personal data and will use any personal or sensitive data I collect from you in line with the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). This notice explains how I collect and treat any information you give me.
Under the GDPR I, Lydia Wanstall, am the data controller for this website. I can be contacted at: email@example.com.
What data do I collect and what do I use it for?
- I collect your data directly (i.e. when you provide your details). Data you provide may include: name, email address, phone number, postal address, job title.
- I collect the data so that I can: provide you with a service; respond to your enquiries; keep you up to date with new services/availability.
- Under the GDPR you are now able to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org to ask what personal information I hold about you and to ask me to delete it.
- I keep your data while you are a client and after your project is completed (for tax purposes). This may include records of invoices I have sent and payments you have made.
- I will not share your personal data with third parties unless I have asked for your permission to do so.
- I will not sell, lease or distribute your personal information to third parties unless I am compelled by law to do so.
- You can opt out of any communications at any time by emailing me at email@example.com.
- All project-related files for ‘live’ projects are stored on a password-protected computer that only I control.
- All emails for ‘live’ projects are stored on a password-protected computer that only I control.
- Files are backed up regularly to an external hard drive which is stored in a secure location and is also password protected.
- I do not use cloud storage for client materials unless by prior arrangement (e.g. for the purpose of sharing files with clients or colleagues via Dropbox or Google Docs).
- I have taken steps to protect the security of information on my mobile phone and external hard drives.
- I have a security procedure in place that ensures all personal data is irretrievably wiped from all old devices before I dispose of them.
21 May 2018
For 21 top tips to make the most of your freelance copy-editor or proofreader, visit ciep.uk/resources/top-tips/21-top-tips-to-make-the-most-of-your-freelance-copy-editor-or-proofreader